Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Privacy Service


Privacy How To...

Write a Privacy Act Request Letter (Sample)

Report a Privacy Incident

Find Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA)

Find a SORN (System of Records Notice)

How to Request a Record Amendment

An individual has the right to request access to his or her records and make an amendment to any of his or her own VA records under 38 CFR 1.579 and 5 U.S.C 552a.

Access Request: Individuals who request information from their VA records must provide sufficient information to verify their identity and provide assurance that they do not improperly have access to records pertaining to someone else. Request for access to individual’s VA records must be in writing, signed, and must adequately describe the specific information being sought. Request for access to records can be mailed, faxed or provided in person to Release of Information or the Privacy Officer at the facility where Veteran’s records are maintained. Currently, VA does not allow an individual to verify identity by Email.

Amendment request: Amendment requests must be in writing, signed, and must adequately describe the specific information the individual believes to be inaccurate (i.e., faulty or not conforming exactly to truth), incomplete (i.e., unfinished or lacking information needed), irrelevant (i.e., inappropriate or not pertaining to the purpose for which records were collected), or untimely (i.e., before the proper time or prematurely) and the reason for this belief.

The written amendment request must be routed to the facility Privacy Officer where the Veteran’s records are maintained.