Identity Fraud Monitoring, Verification and Mitigation (IFMVM)
Goal: Determine if Veterans and other groups with data housed in VA data systems are at risk for identity theft, and take steps to protect them.
- Objective: Sponsor and monitor analyses to determine the level of Identity Theft risk to which Veterans and other groups are exposed.
- Objective: Use address data from the analyses to correlate high Veteran identity theft risk with activity at VA facilities in order to detect breaches before they are reported.
- Objective: Create new and innovative areas of risk analysis such as mapping of Identity Theft “Hotspots” and correlation with the location of VA facilities.
Identity Theft Education and Communication
GOAL: Conduct outreach and communication to VA employees on the topic of identity theft, creating a culture of Identity Safety at the VA.
- Objective: Create Web-Based Training (WBT) curricula on identity theft for all VA employees, such as “Identity Theft and Prevention” and “Identity Theft and the Elderly”.
- Objective: Develop a Web presence for ISS initiatives on the VA Internet and Intranet.
- Objective: Continue to promote the “More Than a Number” VA employee education and communication initiative by launching a public Internet site with identity theft prevention resources and links.
Identity Theft Prevention Partnerships
GOAL: Create partnerships to better promote identity safety for Veterans and to meet Congressional mandates
- Objective: Promulgate VA policy to create a proactive program to educate Veterans concerning identity theft. Ensure that current VA policy is consistent with Congressional mandates and industry best practices around identity safety.
- Objective: Form strategic partnerships with non-profit entities such as the University of Texas Center for Identity and the Medical Identity Fraud Alliance to share best practices for identity theft prevention.
- Objective: Form strategic partnerships with federal entities such as the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Secret Service and Federal Trade Commission to increase the visibility of identity theft as an issue among Veterans.
- Objective: Partner with VHA and VBA to form an Agency-wide Working Group on identity theft, formulating strategies specific to each Administration.