Identity theft occurs when someone uses another person’s Sensitive Personal Information (SPI) to commit, aid or abet fraud (Source: FACTA, 2003). For more information on identity theft and prevention, go to VA’s “More Than a Number” Website.
2. What should I do if I think I have been the victim of identity theft or need to report an identity theft incident with the VA?
Call the toll-free VA Identity Theft Help Line at 1-855-578-5492. (M-F, 8:00AM-8:00PM, EST)
3. Where can I find resources to combat identity theft?
For more resources on identity theft and prevention, visit “Identity Safety Service Resources” page on this site.
4. How do I file an identity theft complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)?
Fill out their online complaint form.
5. How do I change or update my contact information with the VA?
Call 1-800-827-1000 and select Option 1, then Option 3.
6. How do I stop mail from coming to a family member who has died?
See the Death Notification Checklist for organizations to contact.