Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

FOIA Service


How To...

Submit a FOIA request

There are no special forms required to submit a request, however, the Department of Veterans Affairs requires that your FOIA request:

  • Be in writing (submitted via US Mail, special carrier, fax or email). To assist in processing, the request letter envelope, or fax cover sheet of any FOIA request should be marked “Freedom of Information Act Request” If you want a hard copy response a return address must be provided. The requester may also include other contact information, such as telephone number and e-mail address. If the requested records concern your personal privacy or that of another person, then the request must be signed. (See Signature Note below.)
  • Reasonably describe the records so that they may be located with a reasonable amount of effort.
  • State your willingness to pay applicable fees or provide a justification to support a fee waiver. Click here to view the different types of FOIA requester fee categories.
  • Include a daytime telephone number and/or email address in case we need to contact you.
  • Be submitted to the facility that maintains the records. If you don't know where the records are located, submit your request to:

    Please refer to our sample FOIA request if you seek information that pertains to a certain topic or an individual other than yourself.

    If you want records that concern your personal privacy or that of another person, refer to our sample Privacy Act request.

Where to submit a FOIA request

810 Vermont Avenue, NW
(005R1C) VACO
Washington, DC 20420

Fax :

For further information, visit Where to submit a FOIA request.

Other Request by E-Mail:
If you want records which are maintained outside of the VA Central Office (VACO), visit the FOIA Offices page and find the office that maintains the records you want.

Signature Note:
If you (or your authorized representative) are requesting copies of VA records pertaining to yourself (i.e., VA claims records, medical records, etc.), your request is a Privacy Act request. In accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy, all Privacy Act requests must be signed by the requester, and must include proof of identity such as a signed notarized statement or a declaration attesting to your identity before we can take appropriate action.

If you are sending a Privacy Act request via email, please scan a copy of your signed request, attach it to your email, and send it to the appropriate electronic mailbox.

Protect your Personal Information:
Please DO NOT send personally identifiable information such as social security numbers or claims numbers via unprotected email as it puts your information at risk.

How to Request a Record Amendment

An individual has the right to request access to his or her records and make an amendment to any of his or her own VA records under 38 CFR 1.579 and 5 U.S.C 552a.

Access Request: Individuals who request information from their VA records must provide sufficient information to verify their identity and provide assurance that they do not improperly have access to records pertaining to someone else. Request for access to individual’s VA records must be in writing, signed, and must adequately describe the specific information being sought. Request for access to records can be mailed, faxed or provided in person to Release of Information or the Privacy Officer at the facility where Veteran’s records are maintained. Currently, VA does not allow an individual to verify identity by Email.

Amendment request: Amendment requests must be in writing, signed, and must adequately describe the specific information the individual believes to be inaccurate (i.e., faulty or not conforming exactly to truth), incomplete (i.e., unfinished or lacking information needed), irrelevant (i.e., inappropriate or not pertaining to the purpose for which records were collected), or untimely (i.e., before the proper time or prematurely) and the reason for this belief.

The written amendment request must be routed to the facility Privacy Officer where the Veteran’s records are maintained.