Requests for Records
The VA has a decentralized system for fulfilling FOIA and Privacy Act requests. The type of information or records you are seeking will determine the location to which your request should be submitted.
Please also note:
- If you (or your authorized representative) are requesting copies of VA records pertaining to yourself (i.e., VA claims records,health records, etc.), your request is a Privacy Act request. In accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy, all Privacy Act requests must include proof of identity such as a signed notarized statement or a declaration attesting to your identity before we can take appropriate action.
- If you are requesting records pertaining to another individual who is the subject of the records, you must provide an authorization to act on behalf of the subject. Or by submitting proof that the record subject is deceased (e.g. copy of death certificate or an obituary)
- If you suspect that your own VA records have been compromised, you need to report this to the VA’s Privacy Service at 202-273-5070 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please DO NOT send personally identifiable information such as social security numbers or claims numbers via unprotected email, as it puts your information at risk.
- For FOIA requests addressed to VA Central Office, please scan a copy of your signed request, attach it to your email, and send to the appropriate VA FOIA Service mailbox.
VA Benefits Records
If you seek compensation benefits records contained within a VA claims folder, or military service medical records in VA’s possession, your request will be fulfilled by the VA Records Management Center as part of the Centralized FOIA/PA initiative.
Requestors should mail or fax their Privacy Act or FOIA requests to the Intake Center in Janesville, Wisconsin:
Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
P.O. Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444
If you seek other benefits records maintained by VA, to include Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment, Insurance, Loan Guaranty or Education Service, you must submit these records to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer at the VA Regional Office serving the individual's jurisdiction, or to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer of the Veterans Benefits Administration, VA Central Office.
VA Health Records
If you seek medical records, you may submit a FOIA request to the Director of the VA Medical Facility where the individual was last treated or to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer at Veterans Health Administration, VA Central Office
National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery Administration (NCA) handles records related to the construction and administration of VA cemeteries, the furnishing of Government headstones or markers, the administration of the Presidential Memorial Certificate Program, and the issuance of grants to States for State veterans' cemeteries.
Other Administration Records
If you seek any other type of VA record, those records would be maintained by the VA Central Office.
Military Service Records
Records of veterans or are completely discharged (with no remaining reserve commitment), or who are retired or have died are available at the National Archives and Records Administration , National personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR).